Saturday, July 17, 2010

City of Dreams . . .



City of Dreams, to some maybe.  To me, not.  The cacophony is overwhelming.  Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is a reminder of what we once were.  The memories smother me.  Desolate.  Lonely. Inconsolable.  That is all that is left of me since you have gone.  In a city filled with people, I am alone. 

City of dreams, to some maybe.  To me, not.   I place one foot in front of the other until I reach the edge.  Spreading my arms out, I am free and kiss the cool blue that greets me. 

City of dreams, to some maybe.  To me, not.



Image courtesy of:  http://www.castlegalleries.com/artists/paul_kenton/collection.asp


drabble- n. a story written in exactly 100 words.

7 comments:

  1. An excellent drabble, I could feel the atmosphere in the written word.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. I need to work on a few drabbles myself. Expand my writing horizons.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Yvonne.

    I had written this piece shortly after my brother died three years ago. I was feeling quite down and the city surrounding me did little to console me.

    I have a different take on it now and may write a drabble from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rosie C.

    Stephen, you definitely should write some drabbles. It often helps when I have writer's block with my current work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This takes me back. Living in the city, surrounded by people, yet confined to my own "closet" of a world...

    Some days I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HC- I know exactly what you mean. That desolation is truly befuddling when residing in a largely populated area.

    ReplyDelete