Sunday, July 11, 2010

Toxicity and Drabble Challenges

On Friday, during the early morning, I encountered a truly toxic individual.  I was really good about it too.  I did not react to what was told to me and I did not jump to conclusions and tell them off like I would normally do.  I contemplated my next steps, shared the situation with my husband on the commute home, and replayed in my mind all the various ways that the scene could have played out differently.  


Yesterday, I realized that all this was wasted energy.  I really don't care what this person says or thinks about me.  I am a person who generally gets along with everyone and I am very easy to work with.  Why then did I waste all this time on a person who really has no impact on my life?  Well, the answer is:  I am a problem solver.  I see conflict or any type of dilemma and my mind races to find a way to balance it out.  Kind of like an algebraic equation. 

 **FYI- The one up above, is the quadratic formula used when solving for x when you are unable to factor binomials.**


Well, I decided that Monday I will ask this person if they have a problem.  If not, I will let it go.  If so, then I will try to resolve or just cut the person off completely.  I don't need negativity in my life.  I get enough of that from the rest of the world.  

On a more positive note . . .  


Today the Burrowers, my very supportive Writers' group, is hosting a drabble challenge.  We post the image and you write a story in exactly 100 words.  Please visit here.  Happy writing everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Negative people are incredibly draining - best to avoid them if you can - and try to forget them when you can't. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jemi. Those are words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that what you've decided to do works. Cut the negativity out of your life. You'll feel so much better.

    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise to just walk away if you can. Sorry for having such a rotten person infringe on your space, because you ARE super easy to get along with! You certainly have calmed me down more than once.

    *Sending hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is too short to allow people like that mess it up! I think your strategy sounds good - try to let it go, but if you still feel like it after a few days, confront. Either way, keep in mind what a lovely person YOU are :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the sage advice. When I went into work this morning, I was cordial and decided to let the whole thing go. I had a wonderful weekend and the start of a great week, no need to let someone ruin all this for me.

    I do not like conflict and can't stand "drama." I'm feeling all around peaceful! :D

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really is the most sensible thing to do. Cut the person off from your life, because any time spent in thinking of him/ her is time wasted and that much unwanted negativity in your life.

    ReplyDelete