Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Rediscovery of Naps


Image from: www.nataliedee.com

Today, I did something very unlike me. I took a three hour nap. I have not taken a nap since I was pregnant with my last child, six years ago. But you know what? It felt wonderful. When I awoke, I felt more relaxed than I have in a long time and managed to write another two thousand words. Yay! It's a great way of recharging your batteries and tackling the next challenge.

I felt guilty that I left my husband with the children and running the household. However, sometimes we just have to stop and take a break. Often we work ourselves until we are so bone weary. We forget to take care of ourselves since we worry about everyone else. Well, I am recommending naps to every cantankerous, ornery, mean, exhausted or overwhelmed individual I meet.


NaNoWriMo News: The target writing for today was 13,333 words. I accomplished only about 5,100 words. But you know what? My writing buddies, Tami and Tara, helped me realize something. NaNo is a way of getting myself in the habit of writing every day and making time for writing. I have written more in the past week than I have in the past two to three months. Write on my friends!

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing the Nano thing too, so best wishes for your success. Its a very demanding time as we all have other things going on in our lives. And I take naps too. Almost every day. Couldn't imagine life without them.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    I am happy that I am not alone out there. Good luck with the NaNoWriMo challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, Chary, that is the only way to approach it. I knew at the start of the month that there was no way I could do it, so didn't even attempt it. BUT I have told myself that I am going to pretend as though I am NaNoing, so the thing gets done in four months if not one.

    ReplyDelete