Sunday, October 25, 2009

Life Gets in the Way





I really wanted to plug away at the keyboard and possibly get some writing done. Well, life got in the way. My daughter is at a stage in her life where going to the right high school makes all the difference in achieving future college and career goals.

I am really proud of her. She is in Arista Honors Society, has a 93 average, is on the basketball team, takes cooking classes after school and is part of a program where Middle School students go to elementary schools and read books to the little ones.

For the past two weeks, we have gone to several open houses looking for the best possible high school placement. Yesterday was the Staten Island High School fair. It was very productive and she even became interested in a high school that is based on a college campus. The students at the school are able to use the college facilities which include swimming pool, tennis court, racketball and libraries.

Today, we ventured into Manhattan. She looked at several schools and asked many questions. I am a little scared. I know she is growing up and wants to come into her own but I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about my little traveling on public transportation. She would have to take a bus to the ferry and then a train once on Manhattan. I am not sure if I am ready to let go.



However, she is a smart girl and I know that she will make the best decision possible. Still, it is so hard to let little girls grow up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. My mom is terrified of the thought that I am traveling around DC alone, and I'm (almost) 24! I can't even imagine how hard it must feel to have your soon-to-be high school girl loose in NYC! It's reassuring that she is smart and able to make good decisions, though. And since I happen to know she's got a smart mom too, I'm sure she will be fine no matter what high school she ends up with. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mari. I just hope all goes well. I suppose she could ride in with me as I drive to the city every day. However, I think she wants more independence. What better way to get it than traveling the city on her own?

    ReplyDelete